Application Deadline: Midnight Pacific time, Sunday, July 16, 2017. Applicants will schedule a timed entrance exam to be taken by email during the following week. Following the review of applications, some candidates will be invited to interview for the program and participate in additional application steps. Applicants can expect to hear final results from ARI in early September.
OAC Program Dates: Late October 2017 – early May 2018
The application for the OAC Program has the following components:
- 1. Online application form
- 2. Official transcripts
- 3. Entrance examination
- 4. Critical reasoning and leadership assessments
ARI reviews every complete application in full and takes all application components into account in the decision-making process.
Best wishes on your application!
1. Online Application Form.
• Before you begin the online application, please review the questions and note what information you’ll need to gather to complete the form.
• To prevent your written responses from being lost due to Internet connection issues, we recommend that you review the application questions and draft your short-answer responses in a separate word processing program. Edit and proofread your answers in advance. Then paste your final, polished drafts into the online form. (Note: The online application cannot be saved in-progress and must be completed in one sitting.)
Fill out the online OAC Program application form.
2. Official Transcripts.
Applicants should request official transcripts from all universities attended. If you are in high school or have just begun your undergraduate studies, please mail your current high school transcript or whatever official records are available to you. You may have your electronic transcripts sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copy transcripts should be ordered from your university’s registrar and sent to:
Ayn Rand Institute
Objectivist Academic Center
901 N. Washington St.
Alexandria, VA 22314
Transcripts must be emailed or postmarked no later than July 16, 2017.
3. Entrance Examination.
At the bottom of the online application form, you will choose your exam date from a list of available time slots. This timed, closed-book entrance exam will be conducted by email and is required to complete the application process for the OAC Program.
You must email back your completed exam within two (2) hours of the exam having been sent to you. Answers can be sent as an attachment or written directly in the body of an email. The exam is “closed book,” which means that you cannot consult any books or notes when writing it. As with the online application form, it is recommended that you draft your responses in an offline word processing program.
Here are some things to consider before your exam date:
• Be sure to make a note of the date and time you selected, as that is when the exam will be administered.
• ARI’s offices are located in California, and therefore the exam times are listed in Pacific time. Please be sure to adjust the chosen test time to your time zone accordingly.
• If you have more than one email address, list the one you check most frequently first on the application form. This is the email address to which we will send the entrance exam.
• The entrance exam is required of all applicants. We expect applicants to have some familiarity with Ayn Rand’s ideas. Therefore, the exam presupposes that you have read The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, The Virtue of Selfishness, Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. To prepare for the exam, you may wish to read or reread these books.
• On the day of the exam, check your email at the appointed hour. If you do not receive your entrance exam by the time you chose on your application, please check your spam folder. If you do not find your exam there, please email email@example.com immediately.
• The time limit for writing the exam is one (1) hour and thirty (30) minutes. Follow the instructions, contained in the exam rubric, on how to submit your completed exam by email. Within two (2) business days of submission, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your exam. Email us only if you do not receive the confirmation within two (2) business days.
Questions? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to volume, responses to inquiries received near the application deadlines may be delayed.
There is no tuition fee for the OAC Program.
In addition, OAC students are eligible to apply for grants to assist them in their intellectual work and careers. Here are some types of grants and scholarships ARI has awarded to students and scholars in the past:
Travel grants to attend academic or professional conferences
Grants for graduate school application fees
Scholarship awards to top OAC students
Grants for publishing papers and journal articles
To inquire about financial support, write to email@example.com.